So our lives the last few months have been crazy. Courtney has been busier than ever this school year because of coaching an extra wrestling season. We’re getting by but it’s a little insane. My Grandma (Cael’s Bogum) was diagnosed with cancer this school year. I’m not sure I ever shared that. She was diagnosed with colon cancer and they did surgery and thought they got it all. She took chemo pills and did great with them until they got her up to a high dosage. Then she started having problems with her hands and feet. They stopped the pills and she started having pain and discomfort.

While all of that is going on we get a phone call that Courtney’s wrestling coach and our teacher from Jr. High and High School had a stroke while coaching at a wrestling tournament and was in the hospital. We were in SHOCK. He was one of the healthiest and most physically active people you would meet. Four days later he passed away. It was crazy! It really made us look at our lives and think that no one is immune to well anything! Just ANOTHER reminder to take care of yourself. Take care of your physical health, mental health, emotional health, everything! I am the first to admit I am not good at taking care of any of those things so a change needs to be made. Cael stayed with Grammy & Papa while we drove 2 hours for a wrestling tournament and were there for about 2 or 3 hours. Then we drove a hour and a half to his memorial service that was HUGE! Over 1,000 people filled this huge church. It was amazing! I have never seen so many people in a church before! Then we drove the hour and a half back to the wrestling tournament. When that was over we drove to Emporia for dinner with Dr. Clamurro and then made the 2 hour trip home. It was an exhausting day.

We finished the wrestling season with a third place finish at state! State weekend was a great weekend! We saw some really exciting matches. That Saturday night we drove to Minneapolis to get Cael and drove home. We drove home in sleet, snow, hail, every kind of weather you can think of that you don’t want to drive in at midnight. It was a LONG DAY.

A few weeks after that we got a call that Grandma was going to the ER because she was in a lot of pain. It ended up that they were going to do surgery that night (Monday). I got a feeling like I needed to call her and talk to her and let Cael talk to her. He was so sweet. He answered the phone and she said her usual, “Hello there!” Cael asked her if she was feeling better and told her he loved her and kissed the phone. I am so glad we did that. I got to tell her I love her. She went into surgery late that night and we thought things were going to be ok. But around 8:30 Tuesday morning Courtney called me from school and said that dad had called and we needed to go home. She was not doing good. We drove home and Uncle Curtis met us at the hospital. I was so thankful for him because I did not want Cael seeing her hooked up to machines. We spent the entire afternoon and part of the evening with her in her ICU room with mom, dad & Aunt Kim. We left when they kicked us out for their 2 hour rounds of shift change and what not. We left and went to stay at the hotel room dad had reserved for mom (she was staying at the hospital). At 6:00 Wednesday morning we were getting up to head to interviews in Riley County and mom called to tell us Grandma had passed away at 3:00 that morning. Wow. I don’t know how I did it but I pulled it together and went to my interview. (It was a great interview! But we didn’t get the jobs.) That afternoon we drove back to Minneapolis and saw family that was there. We got Cael and drove back to Leavenworth so Courtney could go to conferences Thursday afternoon. Then we drove back to Minneapolis Friday morning for visitation and the funeral.

Since then Courtney has started baseball practice and has his first game this Friday. Life has been busy! Courtney had spring break that week after the funeral but he didn’t really have a break. He had practice so he couldn’t do much and I had daycare so we really couldn’t do much. We did take the Friday off and went to Coco Keys Indoor Water Park and then to the zoo on Saturday. Sunday Courtney & I had the opera. Then this past weekend we went to Topeka to watch Nicolas at State Kids Fed Wrestling and yesterday was spent working on the yard and doing some spring cleaning. Can we have a weekend break yet? Please!

Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

The Dill Family

The Marsh Family

Kitchen table talk....

The Marsh Family

%d bloggers like this: